Thursday, October 18, 2007

Chapter 1: My Little Fleet

9 months ago, when I was going through a very rough time, there was a pair of ladybugs that would always show up when I took a shower (so like, every 12 days or so). They would walk up the wall in front of me, starting in the same place every day... and then one would fall and flounder about until I scooped her up and put her on the window sill. Then I'd collect the other and put him on the sill with his partner. I executed the exact same rescue every morning for weeks. At first I thought they were just unintelligent and kept making the same mistake, but then I got to thinking that they were helping me feel needed.
This morning (or this afternoon really - I slept until 2 somehow) when I went downstairs to let Lu out, the doorway was covered with ladybugs. We didn't know what to do because you can't kill ladybugs. It's like that Mitch Hedberg joke about Koala Bears - it's "the cutest infestation ever." When Lu came back from his walkabout, we found that every port in the house (windows, doors, holes in the walls) were ensconced in ladybugs. I started to get nervous... they hadn't made their way into the studio yet, so I went in there to work on the new Ebu Gogo record. I started to envision running downstairs just in time to catch Lumas being hoisted away by this beetlefleet, so I insisted that he sit on my lap in the studio.
At five thirty, when we emerged for breakfast, they were all gone. We checked everywhere. There were two ladybugs marching up the wall in the shower, that was all. I thought they were coming to take us, but now I think they are guarding me... I don't know what from, but I know I will see them tomorrow and I'm fine with that.

No comments: